The Confession of Faith of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is part of our founding constitution. Lutherans believe in the Triune God. God loves all of creation — the earth and the seas and all of the world’s inhabitants. We believe that God’s Son, Jesus Christ, transforms lives through his death on the cross and his new life, and we trust that God’s Spirit is active in the world.
The convictions shared by Christians from many different traditions are expressed in statements of belief called creeds. The ecumenical creeds that Lutherans affirm and use in worship confess the faith of the church through the ages and around the world.
The ELCA accepts the following creeds as true declarations of the faith of this church. For more information about the Evangelical Lutheran Church, go to www.elca.org.
• The Apostles’ Creed
• The Nicene Creed
• The Athanasian Creed
Welcoming all and growing together to share God’s
love and serve Christ with energy and joy!
|St. Martin’s Church conceived April 6 at a meeting of German businessmen and farmers and Rev. Ernest Idle, a Lutheran circuit rider. Incorporated as St. Martin’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in America with 20 families (30 children in Sunday School).Building lot on Francis Street purchased for $1,200.|
|1875||Cornerstone laid June 7.|
|1902||Fire destroys interior of brick structure. Church restored; parsonage added.|
|1921||English replaces German as church language.|
|1925||50th Anniversary, annex containing a church office, kitchen, and primary department facility dedicated October 4.|
|1942||Redecorations dedicated (new sanctuary ceiling, new altar, pulpit, and choir rail).|
|1949||75th Anniversary celebrated with new worship center in refinished church school room.|
|1953||Parsonage purchased on Cherry Grove Avenue (former parsonage converted to church school facility and parish house).|
|1960||Congregation votes to affiliate with United Lutheran Church in America (ULCA).|
|1962||Cornerstone laid December 2 at Spa Road location.|
|1963||New building dedicated May 12. Parochial school begins with pre-school.|
|1973||St. Martin’s calls its first Associate Pastor. St. Martin’s begins its affiliation with Meals on Wheels.|
|1979||First woman ordained at St. Martin’s.|
|1988||St. Martin’s becomes a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).|
|1989||St. Martin’s signs Articles of Incorporation of Annapolis Area Ministries and begins its ministry with the Light House Shelter.|
|1991||Pipe organ installed.|
|1993||St. Martin’s begins its support of the Lutheran Mission Society.|
|1995||Day School expands to grade eight.|
|1996||Three-year capital campaign for Fellowship Wing and Day School addition begins.|
|1997||Groundbreaking ceremony March 23. Dedication ceremony November 23.|
|1999||125th Anniversary year and celebrations.|
|2001||Commissioning and dedication of St. Martin of Tours painting.|
|2003||Chapel and gym renovations.|